A "SMOULDERING" hat led to a call-out from firefighters.

Two fire crews from Fordingbridge and Ringwood were called to a fire in a bedroom in Fordingbridge.

A post on Fordingbridge Fire Station Twitter said: "1304 47P7 and @RingwoodFire 45P7 have attended a bedroom fire in Fordingbridge. This turned out to be a smouldering hat that was stored too close to a halogen light bulb.

"Sensible action from the homeowners meant no further damage other than the hat."

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters were called to an address on Southampton Road, Fordingbridge, just after 1pm yesterday (Wednesday, March 10 ).

A spokesperson said: "They found a small smouldering fire in an upstairs bedroom, caused by an item of clothing left in close proximity to a halogen downlight.

"Firefighters removed the item of clothing and the stop message came in at 1.32pm."

Get more Forest Journal news and nominate your local heroes for the South Wiltshire Hero Awards.

You can also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date.

Email newsdesk@salisburyjournal.co.uk with your comments, pictures, letters and news stories.