EMERGENCY services were called to reports of a chlorine spillage at a leisure centre in Ringwood.

Fire crews from Ringwood, Beaulieu and Redbridge attended the incident at David Lloyd Ringwood in Christchurch Road yesterday afternoon (Tuesday September 14) which was reported shortly before 1pm.

Specialist hazmat vehicles from Winchester and colleagues from across the border in Dorset and Wiltshire were also called to the scene to assist.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Engines were called shortly before 1pm after a chlorine spillage and a strong smell were reported from an external plant room at the site on Christchurch Road.

"The centre was evacuated as three casualties were treated by South Central Ambulance Service paramedics as a precaution and discharged.

"The leak was contained by firefighters who then used monitoring equipment to check gas levels within the main building, with no dangerous gas detected."

Police were also at the scene.

A David Lloyd spokesperson said: "The health and safety of our members and team is our number one priority.

"At lunchtime yesterday (Tuesday 14 September) our club in Ringwood was temporarily closed due to a fault in the plant room. The fire brigade attended and confirmed this was not a chlorine gas leak and the club was safe. It reopened shortly after.  

"We’d like to apologise to our members for the inconvenience caused and thank them for their patience."

Get more Forest Journal news.

You can also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date.

Email newsdesk@salisburyjournal.co.uk with your comments, pictures, letters and news stories.