WILTSHIRE Council has warned against putting electrical items in waste or recycling bins.

On social media, the council published photos of a burnt up hoover which it said was disposed of in a recycling bin.

In the post, the local authority asks residents not to put electrical or anything that includes batteries into bins.

The post said: “The battery of a rechargeable vacuum cleaner went in a blue-lidded recycling bin & caused a recycling lorry to catch fire.

“Please don’t put any electrical items or anything that includes batteries, into your bins.

“Batteries can be taken to your local recycling centre.”

According to the council, batteries and all electrical items, large or small, can be taken to any of the household recycling centres to be disposed of safely.

It added that many supermarkets now have facilities to recycle household batteries.

For more information, please click here.

Get more Salisbury news

You can also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date.

If you want online news with fewer ads, unlimited access and reader rewards - plus a chance to support our local journalism - find out more about registering or a digital subscription.

Email newsdesk@salisburyjournal.co.uk with your comments, pictures, letters and news stories.