MOVING benches and installing mobile CCTV are just some of the measures being looked at to tackle antisocial behaviour in Fordingbridge.

The neighbourhood policing team in Fordingbridge launched Op Idyllic which is focused on addressing the issue.

Antisocial behaviour was a concern for residents, which was raised during the annual town meeting in June that was attended by the county’s Police and Crime Commissioner Donna Jones along with officers from the local policing team.

Officers are working with Fordingbridge Town Council and New Forest District Council.

The New Forest West Sector Inspector Darren Ord said: “We are aware that there has been an increase in the number of anti-social behaviour issues and incidents in the Fordingbridge area in recent weeks.

“Our officers have been working closely with relevant partners – including Fordingbridge Town Council and New Forest District Council – to address these ongoing issues; twinned with regular, high-visibility routine patrols which have taken place across the community where areas of concern are raised to us via local residents.”

Plans for a “number of diversionary and preventative measures”are being looked at to tackle antisocial behaviour issues around the town centre and recreational ground. The plans include moving benches from hot-spot areas such as the High Street, to changing the opening and closing time of public toilets to “further reduce the number of incidents taking place”.

Officers have also been providing crime prevention advice and discussions over CCTV in “crime hotspots” are ongoing.

“Whilst there are ongoing discussions with New Forest District Council around the implementation of mobile CCTV units in crime hot-spot areas in the interim period, with a long-term view of securing more permanent options.”

Inspector Ord added: “We hope that the local community can see that we are taking proactive action, alongside our partners, to combat the issue of anti-social behaviour and reduce the impact on the local area.

“If antisocial behaviour is affecting your quality of life, there are people who can help. In the first instance you should contact your local council or your housing provider.

“Any antisocial behaviour which is causing a risk to someone, or you think may be a crime, should be reported the police by calling 101. In an emergency always call 999.”

A spokesperson for New Forest District Council added: “New Forest District Council continue to work with our partners in the Safer New Forest group across the district, and will continue to offer support to town and parish councils if anti-social behaviour issues are identified.”


Get more Forest Journal news.

You can also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date.

Email with your comments, pictures, letters and news stories.