Ambulance crews treated the occupants of a home on Richards Way in Harnham for suspected smoke inhalation after a house fire severely damaged part of the residence.

Three fire crews, including whole-time and on-call firefighters from Salisbury, responded to the home at approximately 8.44am on Monday, July 10.

According to the Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, the occupants were still inside the house upon calling 999 and the control firefighter who answered the call encouraged them to make their way outside while remaining on the line.

The fire was in a first-floor bedroom. The bed was destroyed and windows were broken as firefighters used two hose reel jets and four breathing apparatuses to extinguish the flames.