A MAN who attempted to escape police because he knew he had been drinking alcohol sped through neighbourhoods "like an idiot".

Dean Sheppard, 26, of Down View Road in Laverstock pleaded guilty to four offences at Salisbury Magistrates Court on September 22.

These included failing to stop, driving without due care and attention, driving without insurance and failing to provide a specimen for analysis. 

The court heard how on-duty police constable Bliss began following Sheppard near Ludgershall at around midnight on August 21.

Sheppard was seen to break suddenly and drove up to 45 miles per hour in a 30-limit zone.

He continued toward Ludgershall, running through a red light and overtaking at speeds up to 80 miles per hour.

Read more: ​Rehabilitation for Carly Chant who spat at Wiltshire Police officers

Officers stung the car with a spike strip on Bulford Road, Tidworth, but Sheppard continued to drive while swaying side to side.

Sheppard was eventually stopped on a slip road onto the A303 after a third officer managed to get in front of his car.

The court heard how Sheppard exited his car and approached the officers in an "aggressive manner".

One of the officers warned him that he had a Taser to which Sheppard responded "Taser me".

Upon arriving at Swindon Police Station in Gablecross Sheppard refused to provide a specimen of breath for analysis and made no comment in an interview.

Matthew George, defending, said his client made no comment in the interview because he “had no defence”.

He added: "I asked him why, what on Earth and he has no idea."

See more: ​Stonehenge: Update after UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee meeting

Mr George explained how Sheppard had been drinking with his sister and "got a little nervous" when he saw PC Bliss following him.

"He drove like an idiot and he thinks about it on a consistent daily basis," Mr George added.

Magistrates sentenced Sheppard to 200 hours of unpaid work, fined him £199 and disqualified him from driving for 28 months