PET owners in Salisbury should heed the warning about the seasonal dangers to dogs as an animal charity reveals the dangers of a woodland walk.  

The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) has warned that dogs may ingest acorns and conkers when out on a walk which can make them ill. 

PDSA Vet Lynne James says: “Acorns and conkers perfectly signify the seasons changing, and whilst we may enjoy collecting or playing with them, don’t forget that they can be a danger for our pets if they’re swallowed.

Read more: Bradbeers announce opening date in Salisbury

Acorns contain a toxin which if ingested can make the dog sick. Although rare, if eaten in large amounts, it can lead to kidney and liver failure. Conkers contain a mixture of toxic compounds which can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and collapse. 

Salisbury Journal: Danger of acorns to dogsDanger of acorns to dogs (Image: Photo Agency)

Lynne James said: “Thankfully, the bitter taste stops most pets from eating them, however, they can be tempting to play with and some owners enjoy throwing conkers for pets to catch without realising the risks.

“They can easily swallow them, causing tummy upsets or even a potentially life-threatening blockage of their throat or intestines. Not forgetting they do also contain toxins, which can be harmful to pets.

Salisbury Journal: Conkers are a danger to dogsConkers are a danger to dogs (Image: Photo Agency)Read more: Warning about the risk of an Asian hornet invasion

Signs of illness will usually show within the first few hours after the dog has eaten conkers or acorns but can be delayed for up to a couple of days, and owners should watch out for a loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness or if the animal collapses. 

Owners should call their vet straight away if the dog appears to be choking and it is not possible to remove it or if the animal collapses. 

Pet owners can download the PDSA free guide to protecting their pets by going to the website: