A “caring, outgoing and confident” soldier was found dead by colleagues at his army camp, an inquest heard.

Taylor Raymond Cole, a member of the 3rd division signal regiment at Bulford Camp, was found dead on January 26, 2023.

Mr Cole was said to be a “highly effective, well thought of signaller in the regiment” by his GP.

The 20-year-old was a twin from Poole, where he lived with his family.

An inquest, held at Wiltshire and Swindon Coroners Court on Wednesday, June 19, heard that he had no reported history of mental health problems but was dealing with a number of stressors at the time of his death.

READ MORE: For more information on why local newspapers cover inquests, click here.

He had been involved in an ongoing investigation at work - he had recently lost a friend to a heart attack and had complications with his relationship.

Mr Cole was described as “a good student” and had been a member of the local boxing club at home in Poole.

He’d found an interest in the army during his teenage years, before joining in March 2018.

His girlfriend, Lucy Brown, said that he “loved being in the army”, and “wanted to be good at what he did”.

He had admitted to her in January 2023 that he was struggling and had said: “If they get a whiff of depression they won’t want you in the army.”

Miss Brown had stated that he was scared he would lose his career if he was to access help.

At around midday on the day of his death, two of his colleagues at Bulford Camp had gone to find him as he had failed to turn up at a meeting.

Taylor Raymond Cole was found dead on January 26, 2023Taylor Raymond Cole was found dead on January 26, 2023 (Image: Newsquest)

He was found in his room, where he had hanged himself.

Over the Christmas and New Year period before his death, in 2022, he spent time at home with his family.

A statement from his mum, read by senior coroner David Ridley at the inquest, heard that at Christmas, he bought everyone presents.  

READ MORE: English Heritage issues update on Stonehenge vandalism

“He’d never bought the other children presents before, it’s a lovely moment to look back to – a fun, light-hearted and joyful time.”

His mum worked as a foster parent so he lived with a rotation of foster children.

She said: “His confidence grew because of all the care placements and children he met.”

The night before he died, he was having drinks with a friend where it was said he had shown no obvious signs of concern.

His death was confirmed at around 12.30pm on January 26, 2023.

Senior Coroner David Ridley gave a verdict of suicide. 

For more information and guidance about mental health and suicide visit samaritans.org. You can call the Samaritans on 116 123.