A baby who died after choking on food at nursery has been named locally as Fox Goulding.

The 10-month-old boy was being cared for at Bright Horizons Nursery in Corstorphine, Edinburgh, on Tuesday when the incident happened.

He was taken to hospital but died the following day.

The child had reportedly been fed a piece of mango when he got into difficulty.

The nursery remained closed on Friday and staff were receiving counselling.

A letter to parents said alternative care was being offered at nurseries in the area.

A spokesman said: “We are devastated by this news. Our thoughts are with the family at this time.

“Obviously we are co-operating fully with the authorities. The safety and well-being of the children in our care is our absolute priority.

“The nursery will be closed while we support our staff and families. In the meantime we have arranged for our families to be offered alternative care at neighbouring nurseries.”

Police Scotland are currently treating the death as unexplained but not suspicious.