Blue Square Bet South

Dorchester Town 2

Salisbury City 1

Salisbury City: Scott, Wilson, Dutton (c), J Clarke, Udoji (Ademeno, 74), Lewis, Brett, Frear, McPhee, Matthews (Sinclair, 64 – Fitchett, 83), White.

Subs not used: M Clark.

Scorer: White (75).

Att: 649.

SALISBURY City suffered a hiccup in their promotion race as they fell to their fifth league defeat away from Old Sarum.

Up against a side which had only won once in their last 13 meetings in all competitions before Saturday’s clash, Dorchester Town got off to a perfect start in the Avenue Stadium.

In the 26th minute, City were left stranded at the back and allowed Phil Simkin’s side to take a fortuitous lead. Charlie Clough spotted a gaping hole in City’s defence and his pass released Sam Malsom down the right-hand side, who cut back across goal for Jake Smeeton to ram home the opener.

Not helped by the boggy playing surface, the visitors could only muster a flurry of first-half chances. Elliott Frear scare mongered the Dorchester back-line with some decent crosses, but keeper Jason Matthews dealt with them well.

But the Conference South leaders were a fresh side after the break, pressing forward on every occasion, keeping Matthews busy.

Theo Lewis, Frear and Ryan Brett’s fierce strikes were all pushed away by the inform stopper.

Then, Jamie White’s goal bound effort took a deflection and squirmed wide.

Nevertheless Dorchester’s second shot on target resulted in a fluky second. A lingering Ben Watson at the far post was in the right place to tuck home Neil Martin’s set-piece in the 74th minute.

But a minute later, White rekindled some hope, after reacting quickest to a goal-mouth scramble – grabbing his 19th league goal in the process.

City continued to launch numbers forward, even Brian Dutton was instructed to play up front for the remaining minutes. Substitute Charles Ademeno saw his shot saved and Frear was denied as well.

During a fantastic finish, in the 95th minute Frear’s corner went through a crowd of bodies and beckoned a touch, but nobody capitalised and as the ball was cleared, the referee blew his whistle.