SALISBURY FC came from three goals down in the Cathedral derby to eventually beat Winchester City 5-4 in front of a crowd of 623.

Winchester cruised into a three-goal lead within 38 minutes, but the Whites kept going and Tom Whelan scored the winner for the Whites in the 87th to secure all three points.

Stuart Green started the Whites’ comeback, scoring just before the stroke of half time. Lewis Benson then scored a second-half brace and Green added a second, before Whelan’s winner.

The Hampshire side took the lead in the second minute of the game, Joe Cook getting on the scoresheet before Jamie Barron added a second on 26 minutes and Oli Bailey gave them their third.

The Whites were creating chances and found a way back into the game. Substitute Green, George Colson’s cross was chested down by Kane O’Keefe to Green who controlled and smashed the ball into the back of the net.

This gave the Whites the boost they needed and came out in the second half all guns blazing.

They pulled another goal back just two minutes into the second half when Danny Young’s cross found new signing Zack Kotwica. His sliced cross bumbled out to Benson, who calmly slotted home.

Benson was involved again and Salisbury got back on level terms after his cross was cleared but fell to Green on the edge of the box. Green curled his shot into the top corner to make the score 3-3.

Winchester then got back into the game and searched for a goal to put them back ahead, but the Whites’ defence stood strong, as did the Winchester defence as Salisbury piled on the pressure.

But the Whites defence was broken down with just 12 minutes to play when Bailey scored his second of the game, to put Winchester back in the lead.

Salisbury rallied on and equalised on 84 minutes. Benson struck a sweet free-kick into the back of the net from just outside the area, to level the score 4-4.

With just three minutes remaining in normal time, Whelan scored to send the Whites fans behind the goal into delirium, as his cross come shot to the far post, eluded the Winchester keeper and flew into the back of the net to complete the comeback.

The Whites have now moved up to third in the table and are just one point behind second place Bristol Manor Farm and four points of league leaders Taunton Town.

Salisbury’s next game is away on Saturday, November 4 against Barnstaple Town.