AN entertaining encounter which included a last second equaliser, two red cards and a controversial disallowed goal, saw Laverstock draw 2-2 with US Portsmouth.

Laverstock fresh from a week’s break looked to bounce back from two home defeats faced an out of sorts US Portsmouth who too had promotion ambitions of their own.

The first half finished scoreless with the visiting keeper making four fine saves to keep the home side at bay.

The visitors took the lead in the 49th minute, Brodie Spencer unleashed a shot from 40 yards which found a way into the top corner.

Instantly, Laverstock responded and James Clifton’s cross was powered home by Danny Finnigan.

With both sides going for the win, controversy struck. A strong challenge which left Adam Bourner writhing in agony saw a straight red shown to US Portsmouth’s midfielder. However as Bourner was about to be helped off, he too was shown a red card much to the bewilderment of both sets of players.

Both sides were then down to ten men, but more was to follow, Russell Jones thought he had returned in style when he challenged the keeper and coolly slotted only to be denied by the linesman flagging for a foul. With the home side furious, US Portsmouth broke and a deflected shot saw them take the lead again in the 67th minute.

Despite the home side’s best efforts they could not find a way past the visiting keeper.

With time reaching the fourth minute of injury time, a free kick was sent into the box and Finnigan powered his header home to earn a point for his side.

Co-managers Liam McConnell and Rob Lakeman spoke to JournalSport after the game and said: “We were really disappointed to not win that game, we created so many chances but to be fair their keeper was superb.

“After having two huge moments go against you it would have been easy to fold but the lads were relentless and we deserved not to lose today.

“The boys are disappointed not to win but we are pleased with the performance and attitude, we just need to try and kick on now”.