SALISBURY FC had to come from behind to secure three points with a 3-1 win away at bottom of the table Bishops Cleeve and strengthen their grip on second place in the Southern League Division West.

Manager Steve Claridge made just one change to his team with Danny Young returning in place of Cory Simpson on the left wing.

In cold and windy conditions, clear cut chances were few and far between in the first half.

It took 10 mins for the first half chance when Owen Howe’s header was comfortably caught by home keeper Sam Gilder.

Despite having plenty of possession in the Bishops Cleeve half, Salisbury were unable to create any real chances with Tom Whelan’s long-range effort going well over being the only action of note.

The goal the game needed, duly arrived after 23 minutes, however it was not the side that had dominated possession who scored.

In the home side’s first real attack, Jack Watts did well to beat three Salisbury players before playing in Ieuan Crowe who finished well, giving Charlie Searle in the visitors goal no chance.

Following that goal the game continued in much the same manner as previous; Salisbury having the lion’s share of possession without really threatening to equalise before half time.

There were half chances from a Lewis Benson free kick, a Jake Wannell header and another Tom Whelan long shot but nothing that really tested goalkeeper Gilder.

The half time whistle came with Bishops Cleeve ahead through the games only real chance.

The second half saw the pattern continue with Salisbury seeing plenty of the ball early on but not managing to create any good chances.

The home side did have an opportunity to double their lead after 55 minutes but after a good break Searle made a good save from Crowe’s well struck shot.

The game changed two minutes later, with the introduction of Eddie Perrett and a change in formation for Salisbury.

The tempo was upped and a good turn from Aaron Dawson on the corner of the box saw him swing a left foot cross to Howe at the back post.

His header was originally saved but he made no mistake with the follow up to level the score at 1-1.

The goal galvanised the Whites and they could have had another after 67 minutes when Dawson had the ball in the back of the net, but it was correctly ruled out for offside.

Two minutes later, they did grab a second and it came from the penalty spot.

Good work from Howe just outside the box saw Perrett take over and as he entered the box he was bought down by a home defender and referee Scott Chalkley had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

With the Whites having missed three penalties in recent weeks, defender George Colson was quick to confidently grab the ball straight away and he dispatched his penalty into the back of the net giving Gilder no chance.

Three minutes later, Perrett saw his close range shot well saved following a good run into the box and 3 minutes after that he could not quite force the ball home at the back post after Howe’s cross.

The chances kept coming for the Whites with Howe unable to capitalise on a poor pass from the home defence and then putting his shot over following Stuart Green’s cut-back.

Colson’s confidence was buoyed by his penalty and he tried his luck from 20 yards, but his shot went over the bar.

Salisbury did get the third goal they deserved after 83 minutes when Howe netted his second.

Benson crossed from the right and great improvisation from the striker saw him backheel the ball into the net.

The remaining minutes were comfortable seen out by the Whites to ensure what could have been a tricky trip to Gloucestershire ended in victory.

Steve Claridge will be happy with the three points in cold and deceptively windy conditions, especially with results elsewhere going in their favour.

Salisbury now enter a tough looking run of games against a lot of their fellow promotion contenders, beginning on Saturday (3pm) at home to Winchester City.