SALISBURY FC made the journey to North Devon to take on Bideford and will be slightly disappointed to come away with only one point rather than the three that seemed likely for much of the game.

The Whites side showed three changes from the side draw with Taunton as Rhys Baggridge, Claudio Herbert and Kane O’Keefe came in for Eddie Perrett, Zach Kotwica and the injured Aaron Dawson.

Salisbury started much the brighter side and could have gone ahead after 6 minutes.

Elliot Wheeler’s ball into the box saw O’Keefe beat goalkeeper Steve Oliver in the air. His knock down was well directed for Stuart Green and the Whites' leading scorer appeared to be impeded by a home defender, although not in the eyes of referee Timothy Burley.

Two minutes later O’Keefe and Green again linked up but Oliver did well to get a touch on the latter’s effort and send it for a corner.

Bideford’s first real threat arrived after 13 minutes but Joshua Key’s weak effort was comfortable for Charlie Searle.

Salisbury did have the ball in the net after 15 minutes, but Herbert was adjudged offside after being put through by Lewis Benson.

Salisbury continued to look the more likely to open the scoring and so it proved just after the half hour mark.

Benson was again the creator, his clever ball through allowed Danny Young to place a left footed effort low across the goalkeeper into the bottom corner.

The Whites carried on as before seeing plenty of the ball, so it was something of a surprise that the sides went into half time level.

In time added on a long free kick was floated into the box and Baggridge was deemed to have sufficiently impeded his man for a penalty to be awarded. Ben Seymour stepped up and his well struck penalty gave Searle no chance.

The first 10 minutes of the second half saw Bideford see a fair amount of the ball although the most threatening effort they could muster was a Seymour effort that went high and wide.

Salisbury regrouped and on the hour they had their first chance of the half, a corner was half cleared to Herbert on the edge of the box but his well struck effort was blocked.

Seven minutes later the Whites had another chance to regain the lead, but Wheeler was unable to convert when he found himself one-on-one with Oliver.

Three minutes later, though the away side did go ahead again. Wheeler was fouled 25 yards from goal and Benson stepped up to curl a beautiful free-kick into the top corner.

This goal prompted the home side to push forward in their quest for an equaliser but the closest they came in normal time was a looping header from Kevin Squires that Searle did well to tip over.

Salisbury could have put the game to bed in the first minute of injury time but Young was denied by Oliver after being put through one-on-one with the home keeper.

Salisbury were made to pay for failing to take their chances when with virtually the last kick of the game Ryan Turner managed to poke the ball home after the Whites failed to properly clear the ball.

Steve Claridge will be disappointed that having been the better side throughout much of the game his team were unable to kill of the game.

A point before the game may have been seen as a good one but the Whites will feel this is two points dropped rather than one gained based on the performance.

Next up for Salisbury is a home game with Shortwood United on Saturday before an Easter Monday trip to Wimborne Town, both start at 3pm.