Salisbury FC returned to winning ways with a comprehensive 6-1 win against Shortwood United.

With a packed upcoming schedule of games coupled with injuries and suspensions, manager Steve Claridge shuffled the pack and was able to show the depth of his squad.

Stuart Green, Tom Whelan, Kane O'Keefe, Rhys Baggridge and Danny Young all missed out and were replaced by Luke Hopper, Zach Kotwica, Sam Roberts, Eddie Perrett and Lewis Ellington.

Salisbury came out flying and took the lead within the first two minutes.

Claudio Herbert's mis hit shot fell kindly for Luke Hopper in the box and his shot found its way into the net via a rather large deflection from an unfortunate Shortwood defender.

The Whites were not content with just one goal and could have doubled their lead after five minutes but a good save from keeper Harry Pickering denied Lewis Benson after a fine run.

They did get the second goal they deserved after quarter of an hour when Perrett arrived at the far post to convert Benson's cross.

Salisbury were in complete control throughout the first half, although after 20 minutes Shortwood did have their only effort of the half, a tame deflected shot from Joe White proving comfortable for Charlie Searle to deal with.

Salisbury responded and got a third after 26 minutes when George Colson headed home Benson's floated free kick.

It was all one way traffic and the 4th goal duly arrived not long after the half hour when Benson again played a delightful ball inside the away defence to allow Kotwica to find the bottom corner with a well placed finish.

Having provided three assists already for his teammates, Benson found himself unlucky not to get on the scoresheet himself, first curling a shot against the post and then hitting the bar with a driving effort from a wide angle.

Half time arrived with Salisbury in complete control and good value for their four goal lead.

The second half started in much the same vein with the home side dominating possession but being happy to wait for the opportunity to strike again.

The chance nearly came after 53 minutes but Pickering saved well from Hopper's headed effort before Lewis Fogg sent Shortwood's first effort of the 2nd half miles over the bar.

A fifth goal arrived after 66 minutes when Sam Roberts powered home a fine shot from 25 yards and it was Roberts who got his second with a low shot from the edge of the area following good work from Kotwica.

The final 15 minutes saw Shortwood have their best spell of the game and they were rewarded for their effort when substitute Yesh Lometey netted a consolation effort with five mintutes remaining.

Salisbury make the short trip to Wimborne Town on Easter Monday and will be back at the Ray Mac on Saturday 7th April at home to Cinderford Town.

A win for Taunton Town yesterday saw them confirm promotion and Salisbury will look to join them over the coming games given their eight point cushion over third placed Bristol Manor Farm and games in hand on all the teams below them.