SALISBURY FC ended a run of three games without a win with a hard fought 1-0 victory away at Kidlington.

The Whites made three changes to their starting line-up as Charlie Searle, Eddie Perrett and Danny Young replaced Tom Roberts, George Colson and Claudio Herbert.

On a pitch full of bumps and bobbles both sides got a off to a slow start, with control of the ball proving difficult for either side.

The first half chance of the match fell to Salisbury after 12 minutes, but Jake Wannell’s shot was easily blocked following Tom Whelan’s corner.

The home side’s first chance also came from a set piece when, following a quick free-kick, Darius Browne shot wide when well placed.

Chances were proving to be few and far between and it was not until 35 minutes in that either goal was seriously threatened again, Salisbury’s Kane O’Keefe saw his shot blocked on the line following another corner.

As the game approached half time both teams had opportunities to take the lead. First Owen Howe managed to hook a shot over on the turn, before Kidlington’s Lewis Coyle put a dangerous looking free kick just over the bar.

Into the second half and set pieces were still looking the most likely route to a goal and Salisbury were the first to threaten.

A long throw into the box from Perrett caused problems and saw O’Keefe’s header comfortably dealt with by home keeper Sam Warrell.

Kidlington threatened for the first time in the half on the hour mark when a quick break saw Declan Benjamin shoot just wide after a good run. The goal finally arrived after 67 minutes and it was no surprise that it involved a set play.

A poor clearance from Warrell went to Stuart Green on the left, he crossed to Howe who whilst trying to turn was bundled over inside the box.

Referee Robert Evans had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and despite the home sides protestations and delaying tactics Howe smashed the penalty into the back of the net to the relief of the majority of the crowd.

In previous weeks one goal has not been enough for the Whites and they did their best to double the advantage but both Howe and Wannell were unable to properly threaten with headed efforts from set pieces.

The game was descending into a real battle with tackles flying in and both teams fighting hard.

As the game went into time added on both teams had one more chance apiece.

Firstly, Whelan drove into the box from the right before unluckily seeing his shot bounce off the post and then Kidlington broke and Benjamin again shot wide. Salisbury were able to see the game out and claim a much needed three points and their first clean sheet since January 14.

With four games of the season remaining the Whites hold a five-point advantage over third placed Bristol Manor Farm as they look to cement the second available promotion spot from the Southern League Division One West.

Salisbury will look for another three points on Tuesday April 17(7.45pm) when they travel to play-off chasing Swindon Supermarine, before returning to the Ray Mac on Saturday (3pm) when they welcome Didcot Town.