SALISBURY FC will be disappointed to return from North Wiltshire with just one point having conceded a late equaliser at Swindon Supermarine.

Seeking a win that would put them three points closer to sealing an automatic promotion spot, Steve Claridge made two changes to his team from Saturday’s win at Kidlington.

Top scorer Stuart Green was surprisingly rested to the bench, with Luke Hopper replacing him in attack, whilst the injury that Danny Young aggravated on Saturday, meant George Colson returned to the team with a reshuffle to the back four and Eddie Perrett playing in a more advanced role on the left.

As has often been the case this season, Salisbury were quickly out of the blocks and were ahead after just seven minutes.

Lewis Benson floated a free-kick forward and Hopper beat goalkeeper Josh Hill to the ball in the air to give the away side the lead.

Buoyed by the early lead, the Whites looked to press on and increase their advantage but Perrett and Benson both shot straight at Hill within quick succession of each other.

Swindon Supermarine were starting to look dangerous going forward and after 18 minutes they broke well with pace and Joe Selman put his shot low across Charlie Searle to level the game at 1-1.

Thereafter the game settled down into an even contest with clear cut chances proving difficult for either team despite some good attacking play.

As half time approached, Salisbury had two chances to go back in front, first Owen Howe saw his effort blocked wide following Kane O’Keefe’s near post flick on before Hopper bought a fantastic save from Hill with a volley on the turn.

Into the second half and Salisbury were the first to threaten when Benson put a dangerous free-kick into the six-yard box, but nobody could quite get a touch.

Supermarine then had a good chance to take the lead but Bradley Gray shot high and wide when through on goal with just Searle to beat.

The frantic start to the half continued when Howe pounced on a poor header from a Supermarine defender but saw his 1st time effort go narrowly wide.

As in the first half chances proved few and far between and it wasn’t until the introduction of Stuart Green with 18 minutes to go that the game really sparked back into life.

He had been on the pitch only three minutes when he gave Salisbury the lead.

Matt Coupe’s poor headed clearance found only Benson on the right, he crossed into the box where Hopper was crowded out, but the ball broke free to Green who lashed it into the net from 10 yards to spark joyous celebrations amongst the sizeable Salisbury contingent in the crowd.

With 15 minutes remaining the Whites needed to see the game out, although their task was made harder on 85 minutes being reduced to 10 men when Hopper picked up his second Yellow Card for kicking the ball away.

This proved to be pivotal as straight after Supermarine won a corner and despite the original effort hitting the bar, Zak Westlake was able to scramble the ball into the net for the equalising goal.

Salisbury were left hanging on for the final few minutes although Supermarine were unable to seriously threaten a win.

Overall it will feel like two points dropped for the Whites after battling their way into a good position.

Next for the Whites is a home game against Didcot on Saturday.