SALISBURY FC signed off their home league campaign with a 1-0 win over Bideford AFC at the Ray Mac stadium.

This game was re-arranged following a mass brawl caused the abandonment of the original fixture back in November.

Despite the away side needing a win to help boost their play-off hopes the game was played at a very low tempo and Whites manager Steve Claridge made five changes to his starting line up Claudio Herbert, Josh Sommerton, Lewis Ellington, Owen Howe and Zach Kotwica replacing George Colson, Tom Whelan, Kane O’Keefe, Lewis Benson and Luke Hopper.

The game started at a very slow pace, with both teams struggling to raise the tempo and content to play within themselves.

The game sparked into life after 15 minutes when the home side scored what turned out to be the only goal of the game.

Ellington picked the ball up on the half way line and drove goalward before finding Kotwica in a wide area, his ball across was turned in by Stuart Green for his 30th goal of the season in all competitions.

Following this moment of excitement, the game settled back down although Bideford’s Ben Carter did put a free-kick just over the bar after 25 minutes.

The away side were next to threaten through Josh Key but his shot from the edge of the box was comfortably seen wide by Charlie Searle.

As the game entered time added on at the end of the first half, Salisbury’s Eddie Perrett had a good chance to double the lead but could only head over when well placed at the back post.

The second half was similarly slow to get started but on the hour mark Salisbury had three chances to increase their lead.

Howe was the first to threaten, Bideford’s Craig Allan putting in an excellent tackle when he found himself free in the box, before Ellington put a very inviting ball across the six-yard box that no one was quite able to get on the end of.

The third of the chances saw Kotwica’s shot graze the bar following good play by Herbert and Howe.

On 73 minutes the visitors had their only second half chance of note when substitute Will Hancox cut in from the right but saw his effort well saved by Searle.

There was time for two more Salisbury chances, Shephard seeing a shot saved by goalkeeper Steve Oliver before Kotwica put his shot just wide when put through after good play from Shephard and Benson.

Following the end of the game Salisbury were presented with league runners-up medals and a trophy by Southern League chairman Terry Barrett in recognition of their second place finish and promotion to the Southern League Premier Division.

The Whites end their season with a trip to Bristol Manor Farm this Saturday, 3pm kick off.