IT WAS not a unlucky 13 for Hampshire Regional Division Two North West leaders Dinton as they maintained their 100 per cent record with victory over visiting Farley II.

On winning the toss Dinton had no hesitation in batting 1st on a good-looking track.

The host looked to be positive but with the first wicket going in the 6th over the visitors were in the game straight away.

Nick Gale (43) joined Ben Coombes and the pair looked to pull their team back into the match.

They added 72 in in 13 overs Coombes bring up his eighth 50 plus score of the season.

Once Coombes was dismissed for 52 the rest of the innings was a game of cat and mouse for every step forward one side took the next was one back.

Dinton kept their run rate up but wickets went at regular intervals.

The home side were in danger in not passing 200 on a good batting track but with the cameo king Andy Coulson walking to the wicket they need not worry together with James Nuttall they took their team past the maximum point mark.

The pair finishing on 15 and 17 not out respectively.

A score of 212 seemed under par for the wicket on a good batting track Farley skipper Craig Burrows 2-33 and Matt Wood 2-48 being the pick of the visitor’s bowling.

As league leaders Dinton took to the field they knew they would have to work hard to keep their visitors under the victory target and take ten wickets.

A missed opportunity in the first over was soon made a mends for as a smart bit of fielding at mid wicket by Sean Howell ran out opener Harry Jenkins for six in the third over with the score on just nine.

Skipper Rich Cridge accounted for the dangerous Russ Spencer getting one to nip up the hill as Spencer played no shot and lost his off bail.

Howell replaced James Nuttall from the pavilion end and put in a hostile five over spell but although he failed to make the brake through he helped to put Farley further behind the asking rate.

Gale replaced Howell from the pavilion end and the chanced brought a wicket straight away as he had Andy Redding caught at cover in his first over. This brought the experienced Anthony Warley to the wicket and although by now his side were hopeless behind the scoring rate he looked determined to click through the batting bonus points.

Martin Stennings put in a good eight over shift and will bowl a lot worse and pick up a hat full of wickets he was unlucky to go wicketless his contest with fellow veteran Warley was a good one

With over slipping by Dinton rang the chances Howell game back on replacing Gale (2-20) he bowled Warley but over stepping the effort was wasted. But two overs later he repeated the tick so Warley on his way for a well made 31.

Andy Nuttall (1-2) and Alfie Cridge (1-25) picked up a wicket each but Dinton failed to take the last three wickets they needed for maximum point having to settle for 22. Farley finishing on 134 -7

This was enough to keep them top, but with Winterbourne hot on their heals they know they only a victory away at Andover will keep them top.


Farley’s second team had finally found an eleventh man on the morning of the game – a less than ideal start against table-topping Dinton. But in a much improved performance, they held some good catches to restrict the free-scoring Dinton line-up to 212-7. Harry Jenkins ensared the prolific Ben Coombes for 52, while Craig Burrows picked up 2-33 and Matthew Wood 2-48. Tight Dinton bowling ensured Farley were never in the hunt, but the batsmen showed some fight as they made their way to 134-7. Anthony Warley top scored with 31 with Mike Scrase unbeaten on 21 at the end.