Salisbury FC kicked off their home campaign in the Southern Premier League South with a loss to Poole Town.

The Whites team made changes from Saturday’s draw with Beaconsfield; Josh Sommerton, Kane O’Keefe and Pablo Haysham replacing George Colson, Danny Young and Sam Roberts.

The home side started brightly and an early Luke Hopper cross saw Haysham weakly put his header straight at Poole keeper Luke Cairney, before former Salisbury player Marvin Brooks headed over from a Poole free-kick.

On 12 minutes the visitors took the lead when Sam Griffin was allowed to run unchallenged from near the halfway line before slotting home a shot that Charlie Searle will have been disappointed not to do better with.

The goal ended up being a double blow for the Whites as Matt Partridge injured himself in attempting to defend and had to be substituted, with George Barker coming on to replace him.

The goal shook Salisbury and they were lucky to see Franklyn Clarke shoot high and wide when well placed before the home side's best chance of the half saw Jake Wannell head a Chris Shephard free-kick inches wide.

The game turned on the half hour mark when Salisbury captain Kane O’Keefe was correctly sent off after reacting poorly to being fouled.

Salisbury attempted to regroup but were unable to make it to half time without further damage.

In time added on the ball broke to Clarke 30 yards from goal and his half-volley on the turn seemed to catch Searle unaware and double Poole’s lead.

Half time saw Salisbury make their final two changes, as Young and Dan Fitchett replacing Hopper and fellow substitute Barker.

On 51 minutes, Poole had a great opportunity to put the game beyond doubt when Elliot Wheeler was adjudged to have fouled in the box but Brooks’s penalty was well saved by Searle with the same player somehow hitting the bar with the rebound from five yards.

Despite having a man less Salisbury attempted to get back in the game and were finally rewarded for their efforts after 74 minutes when Lewis Benson freed Fitchett who finished well under Cairney.

The home side continued to press forward but still needed to be alert and it took an excellent headed clearance from Fitchett to deny Poole a third goal.

Ten man Salisbury continued to see plenty of the ball and on 90 minutes had a glorious chance to grab an equaliser.

Jake Wannell’s low through ball released Haysham in the area but his shot was well blocked by Cairney, meaning that Poole went away with all three points.

Salisbury will be looking to get their first three points of the season on Saturday (3pm) when they welcome Dorchester Town to the Ray Mac.