THE spoils were shared in an entertaining, fiercely contested local derby between Laverstock and Ford and Downton which ended 0-0.

Lavvy started brightly and immediately set out to get on the front foot, Russ Jones and Chae Sykes causing early problems for the visitors just as they did in their Hospital Cup win earlier in the season.

In fact, Lewis Gunstone-Grey in the visitor’s goal reacted sharply to deny Sykes from close range on 15 minutes.

Jones then rounded the goalkeeper but his effort was blocked to keep the home side at bay. However on 21 minutes, the game took a dramatic twist.

A late challenge on Jones resulted in a melee in which Jones appeared to gesture his head towards the Downton player.

Once the referee had completed his administration of the foul he was left with no choice but to give Jones his marching orders.

Downton used the numerical advantage and upped their game after that, but it remained 0-0at the break.

The second half, started in the same fashion as the first, Lavvy refused to let the red card affect them, and Sykes was brilliantly denied by Gunstone-Grey for a second time five minutes in.

As Laverstock piled the pressure on the goalkeeper denied the striker again and moments later Campbell-Smith had a header blocked on the line.

Downton rallied and had chances of their own but Ageur was quick to handle anything thrown at him, Declan McGregor was twice denied by the Frenchman.

As the game ticked on the game was becoming more and more stretched, chances kept coming at both ends but in the end the whistle came before either side could find the winner.

Laverstock manager, Liam McConnell said: “It’s a strange feeling, we looked sharp early on and I felt it was a matter of time before we went in front but the early sending off has obviously affected the game in a huge way.

“We were vulnerable from that moment up until half-time, in fairness, we were hanging on towards the end of the half, but I knew if we could apply a certain game plan of how to handle the extra player we would still create chances for ourselves and that’s exactly what happened.

“I am immensely proud of my players, they didn’t hang on for 70 minutes, they went to win the game and with their goalkeeper getting man of the match, tells you lot.

“However, in the end with the chances Downton had also, I can be pleased we haven’t lost the game considering the circumstances.”

Downton manager Ben Smith said: “I was a little disappointed not to capitalise on the playing against 10 men for so long.

“When they lost Russel Jones to a headbutt on Nathan Stott we thought it would be easier and stepped off the gas and let them back into the game.

He added: “We had several good chances to win it and so did they. Both goalkeepers were in fine form and equally pulled off some excellent saves.

“Overall a point away at Laverstock isn’t to bad a result and another clean sheet is a huge positive for the lads.”

Downton are in league action on Saturday at home to Alton, while Lavvy are away at leaders Hythe and Dibden.

On Tuesday night, the sides lock horns against when Laverstock travel to Downton for a Wiltshire Senior Cup tie.