ON October 23, just under two weeks ago, Salisbury faced a team near the top of the table, conceded early, and came back to win 3—1 in a performance Steve Claridge called “one of the best since [he’s] been at the club”.

On Saturday, the Whites again faced a side in the play-off places, conceded in the first five minutes, and came back to win 3-1, this time over Hendon FC extending their winning run to eight games in all competitions, and six in the league, to remain second in the table.

The 3-1 victory over Hendon at the Ray Mac inflicted only the second league defeat of Hendon’s campaign so far.

Another slow start from the Whites saw Sommerton beaten for pace down the left by the rapid Hippolyte-Patrick, who fizzed a ball across the face of goal, forcing a corner. From the corner, Calcutt was allowed to remain unmarked at the near post, flicking the ball into the net.

Again, like against Tiverton, Salisbury looked to respond immediately, and took control of the game, keeping a high line and pressing fast.

Their best chance to level the scores came on 25 minutes, when a free kick from Benson, low and around the wall, beat the keeper and striking the bottom of the post.

The equalizer came with around seven minutes left of the half; a superb goal from Whelan after an excellent team goal involving Benson and Shephard combining well, converted low into the corner by Whelan.

The goal really put the wind into Salisbury’s tails, and they took the lead just four minutes later, with another quality goal. A short free kick saw Shephard lay the ball to Benson, and neither player was closed down.

Benson took great advantage of the space afforded to him, quickly turning, getting his head up and setting himself, the ball was in the bottom corner of the net before Hendon knew what was happening.

The Whites began the second half as they finished the first; in complete control.

Wannell, Dawson and Benson all had chances to double Salisbury’s lead, but the home side were made to wait. Another well worked team goal came in the 78th minute, starting with Sommerton defending well. Good work from Whelan in the middle of park saw the ball out to Bay Downing on the right hand side, who squared the ball for Kotwica to convert from close range.

Tonight, Salisbury face Paultons in the Southern League Cup.