AMESBURY maintained their two point lead at the top of the Wessex League Division One with an a comfortable 5-2 win over visiting Petersfield.

The game could have started with two penalties in as many minutes.

In the first Amesbury attack led to strong appeals for a penalty for handball but nothing was given.

The visitors broke clear down the left through Matt Rowland, the challenge was well intentioned abut took the legs rather than ball, so Will Essai gave his side the lead from the spot.

This was followed by a spell of pressure with the home defence looking none too sure of themselves and it needed a superbly timed challenge by Jack Vallis on Harry Giles to prevent a second goal.

Slowly the the Blues came back in to the game and were all square after 26 minutes.

Full back Connor Palmer made ground down the right and his low cross was fumbled by goalkeeper Jacob Orr on the slippery surface with Jordon Matthews tucking home the loose ball from close range.

All square at the break would probably have been a fair outcome but with less than two minutes remaining Tyler Brockway slid the ball between the two central defenders and a cool finish from Matthews mae it 2-1 at the interval.

Just after the break, two corners were won in quick succession, the second was only partially cleared and a spectacular overhead effort from Luke Greenway flew into the net to make it 3-1.

Brockway found the side netting after some neat footwork by Jamie Ritchie created the chance and a powerful free-kick from Essai at the other end was tipped over the bar by home goalkeeper Paddy Creese. Greenway smacked a shot against the post with the goalkeeper no more than an interested spectator and Sam Roberts produced the tackle of the game to deny Matthews his hat-trick after he had broken clear and rounded Orr.

With 15 minutes left in the game, Amesbury netted a fourth as a corner from Greenway found Brockway unmarked at the far post.

In the final minutes of the game, Petersfield netted a second as Josh Sheehan was both the creator and the scorer, exchanging passes with sub Jake Bourton.

Any thoughts of comeback were quickly as Blues super sub Robbie Owen completed the 5-2 victory.

After the game, Amesbury manager Dave Coker said: "I must say a big thanks to our groundsman Rob Aplin and club stalwart Don Neate this game was able to be played.

We really didn’t settle during the opening 10 minutes and seemed to be on the back foot against a hard working Petersfield side.

Petersfield deservedly took the lead with a stonewall penalty decision. This seemed to spark us into action and we went onto dominate the game with another fine performance."

Amesbury are next in action on December 22 at home to Ringwood.