LAVERSTOCK and Ford's recent unbeaten run came to an end in the cruellest of circumstances at Newport on the Isle of Wight conceding the winner with less than a minute to play in the 93rd minute.

Making their second successive trip to the island in a week Lavvy were up against it from the start, with nine of their squad unavailable. Laverstock knew it would be a backs against the wall job at times but were prepared for the test.

Playing in blustery conditions into a strong wind Lavvy spent much of the 1st half defending.

Graham Mankin led the back line in fine fashion and Rob Crossley was in superlative form blocking all of Newport's long range efforts.

Despite their possession the home side were frustrated often and it was the free flowing Laverstock who took a half time lead.

Skipper Bourner sent Wakeford through who's timely pass laid in the returning Russ Jones to score the opener.

Coming out in the second half, Lavvy were again against it, Newport, clearly accustomed to the swirling conditions in the open St George's Stadium were hungry to get the equaliser but for 15 minutes, Lavvy stood strong.

However, the breakthrough came on 61 minutes, and six minutes, the home side were in front.

Lavvy were fighting hard to get back into the game and as the clock began to run down Graham Mankin popped up at the far post to meet a cross and net the equaliser in the 88th minute.

In fact Lavvy could have snatched it late on, Chae Sykes broke through one-on-one and sent his effort wide.

Just as the final whistle was in sight a free-kick was awarded to the home team on the touch line, the ball was met by a header which rebounded off the bar and smashed home for the winner leaving Lavvy empty handed to make the long trip home.

Manager Liam McConnell commented after the game: "To lose in such fashion is hard to take but we're disappointed at the way our hard work of that first half was undone.

"We played a perfect first half, our discipline was excellent and at half-time we knew they would come at us but we just seemed to allow them on to us. That's the disappointment.

"To come all this way with so many unavailable only to see a point snatched away is tough but again, yet another lesson for this young group. I want to see a reaction on Tuesday and Saturday in our two home games."

This evening, Laverstock entertain Whitchurch and then on Saturday they are at home to Alton.