DINTON Cricket Club had a very memorable weekend as the first team and charity were the winners, writes RICH CRIDGE.

Once the Armed Force Day Road closures had been negotiated on the way to Whiteparish. Dinton's skipper Rich Cridge had no hesitation in batting on what was the hottest day of the season.

The visitors were soon in trouble at 13-2 in the fourth over, but Harry Button in partnership with Ben Coombes got their team back into the game with a third wicket partnership of 92.

The home side struggled to contain their visitors run scoring.

The partnership was broken in the 17th over with the score on 105.

This breakthrough gave Whiteparish little rest bite as Andy Nuttall joined Coombes and the ball started to disappear to all parts.

They added 157 runs together, the 200 mark was passed with eight overs to go. In the process Coombes brought up this first hundred of the season.

Two wickets in the penultimate over saw Nuttall (55) and Coombes (144) dismissed.

Coombes made himself a little bit of Dinton history, as he over took over from Andy O'Neill to become the second highest of run scorer in the club’s history.

Faced with a total of 271 to chase, Whiteparish were always behind the run rate.

Although Dinton have it all their own way as they temporally lost the ability to pitch the ball up. Da Costa (15) in partnership with his captain Higgins (44) added 53 for the second wicket.

Da Costa was adjusted leg before off the bowling of Alun Richards (1-26) and in the next over a smart bit of glove work from Tom Patrick accounted for Parish's skipper stumping him for a hard hit 44 of the bowling of Cridge (1-23).

Higgins Jnr held up Dinton still further, reeling of a succession of powerful shots.

However, once Dinton changed their bowlers the game was over very quickly Alfie Cridge (2-20) and Andy Nuttall (4-7) accounted for the last six wickets inside nine overs to complete a 155 run win.

This win moves Dinton up to fifth in the table which will make their game against third placed Wilton very interesting.

The following day the club held its charity match. This saw the Frank Coombes XI take on the Ben Coombes XI although Ben's team were the eventual winners by 25 runs.

The result was secondary to the fun of the day and in total £2,000 was raised for Southampton Hospital who have looked after both Frank and Ben in recent months.

As well as enjoying the large crowd we were able to enjoy a lovely tea and barbecue, try our luck at the raffle and a bat draw. The bar was also kept very busy all afternoon.

The club would like to thank everyone who came along and made the day both memorable and successful and the people who made it happen.