DINTON beat promotion rivals Farley seconds in their latest Hampshire League Regional Division One North West clash by 11 runs in a low scoring game, writes TOM PATRICK.

With a couple of players unavailable, Tom Patrick skippered for the first time this season, things got off to a bad start with last week’s double centurion Ben Coombes having to pull out due to a family emergency just 30 minutes before the start.

Fortunately Will Janes was on hand to make sure Dinton fielded 11 players.

Patrick won the toss and decided to bat first on a pitch that looked conducive to run scoring, opening the batting himself alongside Harry Button.

Alas Button was first to fall for a duck in the third over being superbly caught by veteran wicketkeeper Keith Redding.

Farley were bowling tightly leaving Patrick and James Nuttall little choice but to defend and wait for an opportunity to score.

Patrick (8) was next to fall in the eighth over which started a collapse of five wickets in six overs for just 22 runs scored, three players making ducks.

Farley were in the ascendency and Dinton were reeling on 38-6.

The evergreen Dave Roberts was next man to stroll to the crease and played fluently hitting over the top of the attacking field and finding gaps with aplomb.

He was ably assisted by Harry Heaven (12) and Sean Howell (12) as a recovery of sorts was achieved.

Dinton were all out for 92 in the 30th over, Roberts 23 not out, an innings which would ultimately prove crucial. Farley's John Amos picking up three wickets.

At the halfway stage however the score looked to be considerably under par.

Farley started their reply for what many an onlooker would have considered a formality.

Two catches went down in the first over from the bowling of the unlucky James Nuttall, also picking up an injury and was unable to continue bowling.

It didn’t appear to be Dinton’s day, but when Farley had reached 20 in the sixth over Matt Janes (2-24) playing his first game for Dinton in over a year and bowling with pace and bounce not often seen in this league struck twice in two balls.

Dinton now had hope and with Janes and Howell (26-3) bowling well it was apparent that the game could go either way.

Heaven took an excellent catch at point from the bowling of Howell to leave Farley 44-4 in the 14th over, the runs having dried up and with over half the total still to reach 92 suddenly looked a huge total.

Andy O Neill was introduced into the attack and started well with a wicket maiden first up followed by a maiden in his second, bowling a good line and length ball after ball, keeping the batsmen stuck on the crease and run scoring all but impossible.

Tom Pugh gave some resistance for the visitors hitting Howell for three consecutive boundaries, however it was Howell who came out on top two balls later removing his off stump in the penultimate ball of a fine spell.

Farley were edging closer to the target with singles and the odd wide ball but the momentum of the game had swung irreconcilably in Dinton’s favour O Neill sweeping aside the tail to finish with figures of 5-11 from 7.3 overs.

Farley were all out for 81, falling 11 runs short. Thus ended an enthralling game where the bowlers from both sides can be proud of their efforts.

Dinton remain in third and travel to Bramshaw next week hoping to maintain a late charge for the title.

Farley drop to fourth and are next at home to Shrewton, they will still be confident of gaining promotion this season.