DOWNTON came back from a goal down to beat visiting Romsey and move level on points with the Wessex League Division One leaders.

From the off the Robins were on the front foot and several early chances from the lively Shaun Prentice forced the Romsey stopper into action.

Waves of attacks continued with Larbi Lawrence the next to bring another cracking save from the away goalkeeper, as his blistering shot was tipped around the post.

Downton had most of the play, but on 35 minutes the visitors took the lead thanks to Geoff Dunn.

The Robins tried to level by the break and this time Robbie Owen was denied by a very fine save.

The second half started much the same as the first with Downton going close with Prentice and Lawrence driving in from both sides.

Finally Downton got level with an excellent goal. Downton played out from the back into Owen's feet with still plenty of work to do he muscled off the oncoming centre half and drove into the box and coolly finished a very good goal.

From the restart, the Robins wings were open and the ball was being pushed about lovely.

Down the other end Romsey introduced new additions and started to look like a threat.

Ben Smith and Liam Dance stood strong with Harry Crisp and Sam Howe soaking up the pieces which seemed like a good 10 minute spell of all Romsey.

Ernest Osei was called into action as Romsey went for the winner but the Downton stopper had other plans.

It was his quick thinking that led to the Downton winner. He quickly released Lawrence into a dangerous position and his driving run into the box and squared it for Owen who made no mistake in finding the bottom corner.

It was his fourth of the season making him the division's leading scorer.

Downton stood strong for the final 10 minutes, whilst Romsey gave it there all.

At the end of the day Downton deserved the win and where much the better side for large periods of the game.

Manager Ben Smith said: "Last season they took six points off us so I knew the lads would have to be on the money for 90 minutes.

"We got stuck into them from the off and I don’t think I've ever seen a better shot stopper than their goalkeeper.

"It could have been four or five without reply inside 10 minutes, but we also conceded when we switched off.

"We fought back hard and the work rate from our squad was impressive. We had chance after chance and when called upon we all got behind the ball which was very pleasing."

This Saturday, Downton are away at East Cowes Vics in league action and on Tuesday night have a trip to Bournemouth Poppies for a second round tie in the League Cup.