FARLEY Cricket Club finished the season in sensational style, as the first team won the Hampshire County Four West title and the seconds secured promotion from Regional Two North West.

The firsts headed to Winton knowing that a win was all that was needed to be crowned champions.

Farley elected to bowl first as usual and in the absence of talismanic all-rounder Manny Gurung, skipper Paul Roberts gave Geoff Ramsey the new ball.

Ramsey made outstanding use of the conditions, not only finding but controlling the huge swing available, to rattle the timbers three times, one with a bamboozling outswinger that appeared to be heading way down the legside and claimed a fourth victim leg before.

The hosts were reduced to 32-7 with Sunil Shreshta getting in on the act (2-25) before the tail played a few shots. Sam Burton then found his line and finished things off with 3-23 as Winton were all out for 68.

It was a rare wicketless display for Marc Burton who ended the season with 35 scalps at an average of 8.34.

Farley lost a couple of early wickets chasing, but despite some unnecessarily ambitious strokeplay from Sagar Gurung and Craig De Weymarn, cruised home by eight wickets to kick off the celebrations.

It was an altogether tenser affair back at Coronation Field, where the seconds needed other results to go their way as well as securing a win against Redlynch and Hale thirds to clinch promotion.

Farley started well, with Harry Jenkins and Craig Burrows adding 94 for the first wicket, but after Jenkins fell for 38, the hosts were unable to capitalise.

Burrows took his season’s tally over 400 before being bowled for 49, but only Matt Cook (27) and Andy Redding (16) made it into double figures as Farley were all out for 184 gaining six batting points. Katie Sell (2-18) was the pick of the bowlers.

John Amos and Cook then ripped into the top order, reducing Redlynch to 27-3 before George Hayes and captain Ben Lindsay dug in.

The returning Amos bowled Hayes for 52, but with Redlynch needing 80 off the last eight overs, the game seemed done and dusted.

However, Marcus Kimberley had other ideas, and crashed his way to a rapid 50 with five sixes. That meant that 36 were needed off the final over, but as soon as Kimberley lost the strike, the hatches were battened down.

The 34-run victory gave Farley 20 points but a nervous wait ensued until news of other results came through to confirm their promotion.