DOWNTON booked their place in the first round proper of the FA Vase after they beat visiting Wincanton 2-1.

It was the visitors who came of the blocks the better for the first 10 minutes of the game causing the Downton defence all sorts of troubles.

The home side conceded five corners in the early stages and did well to soak it up by some solid defending and excellent goalkeeping by shot stopper Ernest Osei.

Downton did not get their game together until well into the later stages of the first half.

The Robins finally made some headway with Larbi Lawrence and Dan Telfer giving the visitors problems.

It was some excellent work from Sam Howe whose bursting run and pass into Telfer saw him make no no mistake in crashing the ball over the line.

Downton stunned the unbeaten visitors and could have had more with chances falling to Telfer and TJ Moseley but on the half hour mark Downton inflicted more pain to the away side.

Some excellent pressing from Harry Crisp saw the ball land at his feet and with time on his hands he picked his spot and delivered an outlandish chip from 20 yards out to make it 2-0.

The second half saw much of the same from Downton. Tireless work from skipper Craig Tyson and Jamie Waters could not go un noticed as they dominated the middle of the park.

The chances were coming for Downton as they overloaded their defence. Several simple chances went adrift and could of and should of put the visitors out of sight.

However, in true cup match fashion the visitors started to throw what they had against the Robins.

The Downton defence stood strong for large periods but a questionable foul which looked to be outside the box was awarded as a penalty.

They made no mistake and Wincanton were back in the game. The introduction of debutant Abdul Razek gave the Robins some strength and he started to link up nicely with the ever hard working Moseley and James Clark.

Both frontmen had two chances each to seal the game but the visiting goalkeeper was in the form of his life to keep the Robins out.

Downton saw the game out with a very well deserved win and will certainly feel they could of won by a larger scorline.

Ben Smith said: "When all the lads knuckle down together and get stuck in there’s nothing better. We were not at our best for the early stages but we kept it tight and got things moving and there were times they could not live with us." "As a team we worked tremendously hard and most would say their keeper was man of the match. Two excellent goals from us and were in the hat for the next round so all in all myself and Rich are extremely pleased."

Their reward is another home tie in the next round on October 12 against Hellenic League Division One West side Thornbury Town.

Before this on Saturday, the Robins are back in Wessex League action with a trip to Verwood.