LAVERSTOCK and Ford put their October misery behind them with a high energy deserved 2-1 win against Andover New Street on Friday night.

In front of a crowd of over 140 the two sides put on an entertaining encounter. Lavvy came out of the blocks at breakneck speed and nearly got an early opener.

Russell Jones saw his close range effort somehow tipped onto the crossbar, before a number of chances on the New Street goal were sent off target.

Jones was causing all sorts of problems and went close again, this time hitting the post.

New Street withstood the early flurry and managed to carve a couple of good chances themselves, Alex Aguer in the home goal making a smart save down to his left before blocking out another at his near post.

Adam Bourner and the returning Tommy Campbell-Smith then had good chances, but neither could capitalise and for all the home side's pressure, the score remained 0-0 at the break.

The second half started much in the same fashion, again Campbell-Smith found himself clear before sending his shot well wide while at the other end the free scoring Luke Hooper was well marshalled by Tyler Brockway and Lewis Barr.

On 60 minutes, Lewis Wykes made way for 18-year-old James McSorley making his home debut for the first team and within 10 minutes showed why he is the leading scorer for the reserve's Wyvern Combination side.

A clever through ball from Archie Lovegrove on 70 minutes caused confusion in a high back line for New Street. McSorley was quickest to react and from 35-yards coolly slotted past the on rushing keeper to send the Dell into jubilation and end their barren run of over five hours without a goal.

Lavvy's lead was put under serious threat, influential Campbell-Smith was sin binned, but the home side stood tall and managed to double their lead.

A rampant run and pull back from Ward in the New Street box found Jones who composed himself to smash home his side's second on 79 minutes.

However New Street are not a side to lay down and made it a nervous finish when substitute Harry Lawton fired in with seven minutes left.

After this the home side held out and picked up the three points.

Following the game, manager Liam McConnell gave his thoughts and said: "It's a great feeling to not only get that win we needed after our recent run but to do so in that fashion and with that effort the lads showed against a very good side was terrific.

"We still have three serving suspension, the likes of (Ollie) Burton Roe and (Seb) Dawes missing too, but never once did we doubt what this young side could produce.

"As well as the experience we were able to call upon in the shape of the returning Tom Mundy who gave us valuable mins from the bench in his first appearance in over a year. Our thoughts are with his hamstrings right now!!"

He added: "At half time we were all a little mystified as to how we had not scored in that first half but credit to them for stepping it up even more so in the second half and what a way for young James McSorley to make his home debut.

"When we needed a goal most he showed exactly what he has done in the youth teams and now in the reserves this season and deserves all the praise he gets.

"Everyone at the club are delighted for him. However, this is just one game. It's done now.

"Our focus is firmly set on Tuesday night and we want to do well in the Wilts Senior Cup at home to New College, so we have to go again and build on this now."

there are also two other Senior Cup ties on Tuesday night which will see Bemerton take on Ludgershall and Downton entertain Warminister.