LAVERSTOCK and Ford started the new year with a bang on Saturday hammering seven goals past a helpless Verwood side at Potterne Park.

Following the previous week's impressive derby win over rivals Downton, Laverstock were quick off the mark, Tommy Campbell Smith cleverly finding Russ Jones who slotted home inside four minutes.

The visitors who had not enjoyed much on the road all season were taking the game to the hosts, Jake Rawkins and Chae Sykes also causing threats.

Verwood rarely threatened but when the best chance fell to leading scorer Vint his header was wide of the mark. Another home chance came at a corner but a block on the line was enough to keep them at bay.

The scoreline was eventually doubled, on 29 minutes Jake Rawkins cut inside and his clever cross was nodded in by Sykes.

There was still time for a Lavvy third before half-time, Rawkins again causing real problems laid in Jones who neatly finished to make it 3-0.

The second half followed in the same suit. Lavvy were in a persistent mood and on 58 minutes Chae Sykes was played in and smashed past the onrushing goalkeeper.

Five minutes later Jones danced his way into the box around the goalkeeper before slotting home his hat-trick.

Verwood finally got a goal, an unstoppable free-kick flew past Roberts on 65 minutes.

In form Sykes joined the hat-trick party, Seb Dawes impressing as full back sent over a hell bender of a ball for the big forward to volley home on 68 minutes.

There was still time for Jones to get his fourth when he cheekily chipped the goalkeeper following another fine Rawkins assist.

A late Verwood penalty gave them a second, but the game was already up as the visitors ran out 7-2 victors.

After the match Manager Liam McConnell spoke to Journal Sport and said: "We could not have wished for a better start to the new year. We knew we had to really improve our away form it's not been anywhere near as good as we want it to be.

"This performance can hopefully now show them what is possible when you assert yourself in the right way. From the first minute the lads were persistent, creating chances and to get the early go was a great start.

He added: "It could have been 5-6 at half-time, but the way we continued in the same relentless fashion after the break is what every manager wants.

As for the goal scorers, these two have been in fine form of late and for them both to get hat-tricks is impressive but let's continue that now.

"Jake Rawkins had three assists and that should not be overlooked either. The forwards are enjoying it but they know they all need to keep working hard."

On Tuesday night, Laverstock are away to Wroughton in the quarter-final of the Wiltshire Senior Cup which is being played at Swindon Supermarine's ground.

This Saturday, Laverstock have no game, they are next in action on Saturday, January 18 when they are away at Folland Sports.