SALISBURY picked up their first league win since mid-November in an entertaining 3-2 triumph at Hartley Wintney, writes Andy Munns.

The game had almost everything. Five goals, a red card and what turned into a nervy final few minutes for Steve Claridge’s side.

Salisbury were quick off the mark when they opened the scoring inside three minutes.

The two Josh’s, Sommerton and Wakefield, combined well down the left-hand side, teeing up Sam Ashton to apply a simple finish from six yards.

Salisbury doubled their lead when a half-cleared Abdulai Bell Baggie cross fell to Wakefield on the edge of the box. Salisbury’s number 10 made no mistake placing his well-directed shot just inside the upright.

Salisbury were not done yet and added a third, five minutes before the interval. Ashton grabbed his second of the game, finishing well past the Wintney stopper.

The home side gave themselves a foothold in the game as the match approached the break. Harry Cooksley finished well from an acute angle to make the half-time score 3-1 to the Whites.

Salisbury set out in the second half to control the game. Although winning the midfield battle, they were unable to create many clear-cut chances.

The home side already had an uphill task to take anything from the contest and compounded issues further when they were reduced to 10 men.

Harry Taylor was dismissed for pulling back Darren Mullings when through on goal and, despite protests, Taylor was sent for an early bath on 65 minutes.

Salisbury should have been able to see the game out comfortably but the home side made sure the final few minutes were uncomfortable for them. Jordan Edwards popped up three minutes from time to give the home side hope.

It came to nothing, however, and Salisbury picked up three points for the first time in eight league games.

Claridge’s side then travelled to Taunton on Tuesday night hoping to make it two wins on the bounce against the play-off hopefuls.

The Whites made a good start and took the lead through a great finish from Josh Wakefield.

But Taunton were the better side after the interval and ran out 3-1 winners.

Salisbury’s next match is this coming Saturday at the Ray Mac where Hayes & Yeading will be the visitors.