ANTONIO Diaz’s second-half strike earned Salisbury a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw against promotion-chasing Hayes & Yeading in Southern Premier South.

Many Ray Mac regulars arrived at the ground on Saturday not expecting too much from the game with the arrival of free-scoring Hayes & Yeading, writes Andy Munns.

So far this season, the Hillingdon-based side had scored 69 goals from their 27 fixtures and boasted the best defensive record in the league.

What transpired despite the trepidation of the home supporters was a very evenly-fought contest with both sides largely cancelling each other out in the first half.

That is not to say there was not entertainment, however, and the away side created the best chances of the half.

Their two chances came in quick succession after 10 minutes when first Charlie Wassmer’s header was adjudged by the referee to have been tipped over by the stretching Marcus Beauchamp.

The resulting corner presented Francis Amartey with a header from a few yards out which hit Beauchamp as the keeper blocked at point-blank range.

Level at half-time after what became niggly half, both sides upped their game and Salisbury were starting to create chances.

First Darren Mullings drew oohs from the crowd with a diving header that went just wide of the upright on 53 minutes from a Diaz cross. Then on 65 minutes, Salisbury took the lead.

Mullings was involved again, this time combining with the returning Dan Fitchett to set up Diaz, who finished smartly, putting his angled shot across the keeper before celebrating in front of the Salisbury supporters.

Three minutes after Salisbury had taken the lead the game was level. Moses Emmanuel was able to bundle the ball home after a scramble on the edge of the Salisbury area.

Both sides had chances to steal all three points with Josh Wakefield blazing over from the edge of the box when the ball was cut back to him.

The game then ended with Salisbury finishing with 10 men.

Fitchett was sent to the stand for reacting after a goalmouth melee that had seen Hayes keeper Ravan Constable be nudged over the goal line with the ball.

No goal was given and a straight red card awarded by referee Robert Ablitt for the Salisbury striker.

The Whites travel to play-off hopefuls Chesham United on Saturday.