LAVERSTOCK and Ford capped off their late season surge by defeating Newport in the Wessex League Division One play-off final.

Despite taking a 15 minute lead via Lewis Wakeford, Laverstock found themselves behind at the break.

Russell Jones restored parity 10 minutes after the restart, eventually forcing the tie to extra-time.

Wakeford was on hand to give the Wiltshire side a 3-2 lead, a scoreline Lavvy bravely defended after they were reduced to 10 men after Dom Jackson was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

Lavvy had sat outside the play-off spots for the majority of the campaign, but Liam McConnell’s men gatecrashed the top five in style, winning 11 games on the bounce to secure the final play-off spot.

After beating neighbours Andover New Street away in the semi-finals, Lavvy travelled to the Isle of Wight for a clash with Newport for a place in the Wessex Premier next season.

Speaking to JournalSport, Laverstock manager Liam McConnell stated: "It's an incredible moment for everyone involved.

“To have finally achieved what we set out to do all those years ago is unreal.

“Who would have thought that 13 games ago we would win every game and end up promoted, it's just something that doesn't happen.

“It's all down to the players. They believed in themselves, they stuck together and rallied after our terrible start.

“To win like this, I simply cannot put it into words.

“The club deserves another crack at the Wessex Premier and we can say now, we are a Step five club.

“Who would have thought that, little Laverstock, the village side, will be rubbing shoulders with some big name teams next season."

In front of 448 fans, Lavvy struck the first blow on 15 mins, when Wakeford picked up a loose ball and calmly slotted home to give his side the edge.

Newport then found their rhythm and were soon posing their own threat. Jordan Browne levelled matters on 35 minutes, before Connor Kelly volleyed home his side's second on the stroke of half time, sending the hosts in at the break 2-1 up.

Within 10 minutes of the restart Russell Jones’ neat finish levelled matters. Whilst the game eventually went into extra-time, both sides had chances to seal the game in the standard 90.

Newport struck the bar with the best chance in normal time, before Jake Rawkins blazed over from close range with five minutes remaining.

Inside the first two minutes of the third period, Chae Syke's clever lay-off gave Wakeford his chance and the left-back made no mistake, tucking home his side's third to send the sizeable travelling contingent into dreamland.