THERE was an historic moment for Redlynch & Hale, when the club played its first ever ladies hardball match at Portsmouth in the Hampshire Women's League Division Three South.

Captain Emily Otton proudly led the side out to field as opponents Portsmouth batted first.

The experienced Katie Sell (3-18) immediately found a good line and length sending back one of the openers in the first over, as the hosts reached 133-6.

In the run chase, Lily Day went without scoring but Rhiannon Webb (53) batted superbly for her half century as the visitors edged closer. Sell was also in good nick with bat, unbeaten on 43 as the innings closed out an agonising three runs short at 130-4.

Elsewhere, Redlynch & Hale’s men rescued a victory from the jaws of defeat in the opening Hampshire Division Two match against Wherwell at Woodfalls Cross.

Batting first, the hosts found themselves on a precarious 63-7 with the recognised batters back in the hutch courtesy of Harry Trebert (4-15). Only Dave Webber (20) got to double figures.

But there then came the stand of the innings as bowlers Stan Boardman (39no) and James Taylor (48). Taylor was trapped in front just short of a half century, but 11th man Ben Brown helped the score on to 158 all out with a cameo of 13.

After the interval, Brown was soon in action again as he tore through the upper order with 3-23, ably backed up by Kev Hopkins (3-29) as the visitors failed to get to grips with the modest target.

Adam Foords (19) and Trebert (19) showed brief resilience but the introduction of leg spinner George Hayes proved the end of any hope as he returned 4-22 to mop up the tail and secure the points.

Meanwhile the club’s second string were at Wellow, who batted first and could only muster 127 all out with Sam Lebalestier and Max Rovetto both reaching 20.

A low target needed a patient approach but Charlie Vince and Henry Hawkins (3-19) had other ideas as the visitors were reduced to 16-3.

Neil Shelley showed good application for his 22 before being run out and Dom Sell (14) resisted briefly, but no one was able to dig in as the innings folded to 87 all out.