AMESBURY bounced back from their defeat at Bremhill with an excellent 4-2 victory over visiting Newport.

It was an open entertaining affair, Cameron Roach fired into the side netting early on and then turned provider for Luke Greenway whose shot was pushed round by visiting goalkeeper Gary Streeter.

Newport responded with a deep cross from the right which Paddy Creese managed to get to ahead of Scott Sampson in a good position in front of goal.

Amesbury took the lead on 25 minutes when Kieran Stephens’ free-kick was met by the head of Jordan Matthews, his effort was blocked on the line, but he got his reward as he eventually headed home the loose ball in the following scramble.

It took just four minutes for Amesbury to go 2-0 ahead, a great defence splitting pass by Gio Downie found Luke Greenway and he was able to run on and slot home.

Downie then set up Roach, but Streeter made the save.

Greenway was then called upon to clear off the line after Keelan Walsh shot and Jaren Wetherick headed over as Newport tried to reduce the deficit.

Newport's Charlie Urry then curled a shot which Creese did well to push round for a corner and Connor Kelly headed wide as Amesbury hung on to their clean sheet at half time.

Indeed they might have increased the lead as Matthews unleashed a ferocious shot which cannoned back off the bar, which is typical of the young striker's luck at the moment.

Both sides had chances early in the second half, the best being Newport’s Liam Triggs deflected effort just past the post following a shot from Kelly.

Amesbury went 3-0 ahead on 74 minutes when an excellent ball from Archie Johnson found Greenway who danced through the defence and Sam Matthews was fouled just as he hooked the ball into the net.

The referee had already blown for the penalty and Kieran Stephens stepped up to fire home into the top right corner.

That should have been it, but a series of substitutions gave Newport a spell of pressure and Urry fired a free kick on the edge of the area into the net with nine minutes left.

Urry then shot at a tight angle to force Creese to save at the near post and with a minute left Urry was fouled as the ball was cross from the left and he fired home the resulting penalty to set up a nervy finish for the home side.

As it was Stephens made sure the points stayed in Amesbury as he fired into the top corner from 25-yards, when he was set-up by Sam Matthews.

The victory closed the gap on the teams above them in the league.

Tonight, Amesbury entertain Andover Town in the quarter-finals of the Salisbury Hospitals Cup.