DOWNTON ended a difficult week with the visit of a very strong Romsey Town on Saturday, with the away side coming away with the three points after 3-0 win.

With a few of the younger first team members missing, the Robins struggled to make an impression, with the visitors going a goal up, a clever finish past Rob Crossley.

It went from bad to worse, with a rare slip from Ben Smith in the Downton half gifting the ball to Romsey, who broke forward and finished neatly from just inside the penalty area.

The Robins were pushing into the second half, controlling much of the midfield but failing to have an impact in the opposition penalty area and when Paul Gulliver was sent off with 20 minutes left, the writing was very much on the wall.

So it all proved to be, with a quick break from Romsey sealing the win on the 80th minute, another smart goal slotted beyond the Downton keeper.

But the Robins were back to winning ways in the Bournemouth Senior Cup comfortably beating Bournemouth Sport 3-1 on Tuesday evening.

Downton were again without several first team players and early injury to Tom Aldridge saw the Robins shuffle the pack early on.

After some neat footwork from Harry Crisp and an excellent cross from Matt Cox which saw Declan McGregor finish with an excellent header at the far post.

Downton the failed to clear a corner and Bournemouth made no mistake in riffling into the top corner to level the score.

Nathan Ball continued to be busy in the downton goal and several first class saves kept the Robins in the game.

The second have saw a different Downton side, some strong words at half time kick started the home side from the off.

Sam O'Hagen making his first team debut continued to press into good areas and an excellent whipped in cross found Crisp only to chip the ball to the far post and find Ben Smith for another trade mark header for Downton to take the lead.

From here on in it was one way traffic and it was only a matter of time before downton would find another goal. The introduction of Mark Gulliver was clinical & a brace tackle saw the ball find declan McGregor's feet for him to coolly slot home and finish the game.

Co-managers Nigel Green and Ben Smith spoke after the game and said: "We were stunned by the visitors and a credit to the way they came at us.

"I think some of us thought they could stroll the game and they got found out.

"Eventually we put it together and I'm pleased with them for the way they turned it around. A good win an a positive finish to head into the all important FA vase game at the weekend."