LAVERSTOCK and Christchurch dished up a humdinger of a fixture, one of very few that passed its pitch inspection due to the recent snowfall.

Laverstock, keen to get the game played to avoid a back log of fixtures had people working on the ground day and night in the build up to the game started brightly, Lewis Wykes should have put his side in front but his header went straight at the keeper.

Both sides were playing at break neck speed trying to draw first blood, and on 31 the league leaders went in front Scott Joyce burying his header past Aguer for a half-time lead.

Laverstock instantly went on the attack after the break several half chances came and went until Wykes effort was blocked from close range.

By now Laverstock were at full tilt and introduced Sykes to the forward line however their deserved equaliser came from another source, on 64 minute, Tom Mundy’s barnstorming volley whistled into the top corner from 25 yards to the delight of the majority of the crowd.

With the game now level Lavvy continued to press in search of a second but it was Christchurch who regained the lead on 77 in the most unfortunate of circumstances, stalwart skipper Mankin went down injured and from the resulting break the extra man in the box proved costly, Jon Blake bundled in after Willock’s header came back off the post.

With time running out Lavvy never gave up and continued to put the leaders under pressure and on 86 minutes were awarded a penalty for a handball. Adam Bourner stepped up to smash home his side’s second equaliser and help continue his side’s unbeaten run in 2017.

Mamagers McConnell and Lakeman said:“it’s safe to say both sides were relentless tonight and clearly wanted to win the game! We were disappointed with how we conceded the opener but the desire in this group is incredible, they knew not to lose that game so the way we responded was superb and with the chances we had deserved to win it. Can’t remember our keeper needing to make a save. We were so unlucky with the second goal but that’s football. Credit to all the lads for persevering against a good side!

"We wanted that fixture to be played so great credit must go to the groundstaff inparticular Nathan Gray Who worked tirelessly to ensure the pitch was playable."

Fourth placed Laverstock are at home to third placed  Andover New Street on Friday night.