A HOMEOWNER has described the moment like an "earthquake" as a lorry crashed into his house - leaving his wife trapped upstairs.

Paul Hammond's home was left with "substantial damage" after the crash in Salisbury Road, Breamore.

It happened at about 6.45 on Friday (December 7) morning and police, fire and ambulance services all attended.

Mr Hammond said: "My wife was upstairs asleep and I was downstairs on the computer tapping away doing routine stuff. I heard this odd grinding sound."

He says it felt like an "earthquake" and there was "rubble flying into the hallway". 

“The house started shaking and that was as the lorry was grinding its way along the side of the wall. When it got to the door the bricks just all burst in. It was quite dramatic," he added. 

"I popped my head out and a lorry was there," said Mr Hammond. "It was a bit of a surprise."

Mr Hammond, who is a member of Fordingbridge Rotary Club, says his wife Gaynor was trapped upstairs and had to be rescued by firefighters who were able to get her out through a window.

READ: Thirteen things to do and see in Salisbury this weekend >>>

He says "major repairs" will be needed to his home as a significant part of the wall was damaged.

Mr Hammond said: "It was quite a shock I have to say."

A bus stop near the thatch cottage and a community noticeboard were knocked over.

He says the paramedics did a "wonderful job" keeping his wife relaxed after the incident.

"I want to say thank you to all the emergency services and the local people who have been so generous and all the people in the Rotary Club who have contacted me, I want to thank them for their support," he said.

South Central Ambulance Service were called to the scene at 6.51am. And a Hazardous Area Response Team attended along with an ambulance officer and ambulance crew.

Two patients were assessed at the scene.

A man in his 50s was taken to Salisbury District Hospital for treatment.

A spokesperson for South Central Ambulance Service said the man’s injuries are not life-threatening.

The second person did not require any hospital treatment.

Four fire crews were sent to the scene from Fordingbridge, Redbridge and Salisbury. Firefighters left the scene at about 8.20am.