A MUM is feeling lucky after she was struck by lightning and walked away with no major injuries.

Angie Layton's "whole body lit up" as a bolt of lightning passed through her while she was washing up in the kitchen of her home in Cherry Tree Way, Amesbury.

The 45-year-old was electrocuted on Thursday evening (March 28), at around 5.15pm, during a storm which resulted in a neighbour's house catching fire.

Read more: Lightning strikes see two houses in Wiltshire set on fire

Angie's daughters, aged 23 and 19, watched in disbelief and said their mum was "literally glowing" as she stood there "in complete shock".

"I had one hand on the tap and another another on a metal colander. The paramedics checked me over and could not believe I was still standing," she said.

Salisbury Journal: Angie Layton was struck by lightning.Angie Layton was struck by lightning. (Image: Contributed)

Angie explained how her body ached all over and she was left with a massive headache but felt "really lucky" to have no major after effects, adding: "It just feels like I have had a mad workout all over.

"My whole body was tingling and that went on for hours."

The paramedics took an ECG of Angie's heart which came back "fine" and told her they hadn't encountered someone who had been struck by lightning before.

Counting her lucky stars, Angie said she bought a lottery ticket hoping to cash in on her good fortune.

South Western Ambulance Service has been contacted for more information.